Our Response to COVID-19
COVID-19 - Reopening Plans for GDY
Update | September 4, 2020
As you’ve probably seen or heard by now, the governor has moved North Carolina into Phase 2.5 effective today at 5pm. This means gyms/studios have the opportunity to reopen at 30% capacity.
Michael and I have spent a great deal of time in thought and planning for when this day would come. Here is a bit of insight into our thoughts and how we’ve built our phased plan for Greensboro Downtown Yoga.
All because we can…
Since this began back in March, Michael and I have always taken the stand on health and safety first. We made the decision to close when there were roughly 50 covid19 cases per day. Now, 6-months later, we’re around roughly 1500 cases per day. Thus the question we keep asking ourselves is (inspired by Jurassic Park) — all because we can, does that mean we should?
Insights from the industry…
Over the past few months I’ve been on numerous industry calls, reading best practices, and really taking advice from top industry leaders. The best practice suggestions for studios and gyms is the following, specifically as they relate to group classes:
- 14-feet of social distancing space between people
- required wearing of face masks
- classes to be limited to 30-minutes
- classes should be spaced a minimum of 90-minutes apart to allow the ‘air to breath’
- reduce or remove the use of any shared equipment
- extensive daily DEEP cleaning protocols are required
So what does this all mean for us at GDY…
With these suggested guidelines, the size of our space, and simply wanting to keep everyone safe, we’re planning a phased reopening approach. Here are our plans as they stand currently.
- We will continue to move forward with our Virtual Studio (get on the email list for more info) – which will include classes in yoga, pilates, barre, functional strength, and cycle. We’re set to launch previews within the next few weeks with a “launch price” of only $15/month.
- Beginning the week of September 14 We will start offering private sessions (or duets with 2 people who know each other and don’t need social distancing) inside the studio. These will be limited to a max of 3 per day. If you’re interested, please let me know.
- We will not be allowing the use of any shared equipment at this time. All equipment used in privates must be brought by the member. We do still have “yoga kits” for sale ($95).
- All previous memberships and packages will remain on freeze and our member management software system will remain inactive (if you would like to roll over onto the Virtual Studio membership plan please let me know).
- We will be marking the floor to indicate where the instructor / member can be during private sessions — to allow for proper social distancing.
- We’re figuring out all the details with the DEEP cleaning that will be required to be done daily with people exercising in this space (it’s just been me, so the steam cleaning of the floor, vacuuming, and other regular cleaning that I do I just don’t think will cut it for having more people in the space).
- Daily we continue to analyze best practices in the industry, follow data trends of the virus, and make decisions of when it will be most feasible to reopen to group classes based on this information.
Lets Move Together…Apart…
While we know this may not have been the news you were hoping for, with the size of our studio and the data coming out from the fitness industry it simply is what we feel most comfortable doing at this time. Please know that this decision has NOT come lightly or without much thought, weighing numerous options, and honestly with a ton of stress in making the announcement.
However, as a true health advocate and leader in fitness education, it didn’t feel right to make a decision to jump right back into how we were doing things simply because the government said we can (remember how Jurassic Park played out).
Recap on how you can still join us
- On the Virtual Studio
- Over on YouTube (new content published weekly)
- In the studio for privates
- Or simply stop by some time just to say hey (I’m here in the studio daily, and would love to see you!).
Keep your head high and together we will all find ourselves stronger on the other side of 2020!
Summer & Michael
Owners, Greensboro Downtown Yoga
COVID-19 & Greensboro Downtown Yoga
Updated | March 27, 2020
Hello GDY Community,
The world we live in right now is a really crazy place, and never did Michael or I expect that 18-days after taking over ownership of GDY that we would be dealing with a global pandemic. But alas, our mental toughness and ‘nothing can stop me’ personalities have made us push on and shift our business model — even if just for a short period of time.
We want to get the doors of the studio opened back up as soon as possible — but only will do so when health professionals say it is safe for us to do so (which realistically could be months).
In the interim we’re providing you with GDY Virtual through daily classes on YouTube (subscribe to our channel) and The Movement Mantra Project. We hope you enjoy these offerings and find solace in them during these times of unknown.
Through all this we made the decision to pause all operations and membership fees for the studio. Sadly though, the cost of keeping the studio space, instructor pay, our membership platform, and the cost of producing the video content does not pause simply because we aren’t operating in the studio.
For this reason, we’re reaching out to you – the wonderful supporters of GDY and the greater Greensboro community – and asking for your help. A small donation in the amount of just $5.00 on our new donation platform will help us with the studio operating costs during this time of shut-down.
Any funds received outside of the cost of maintaining the studio will go towards upgrading our video equipment with the hopes that we can continue to provide GDY Virtual even after we re-open.
If you have participated in one of the YouTube classes, attended a live class in the past at GDY, or simply want to support local small business in Greensboro, we would be forever grateful for a small donation.
Simply follow the link to our KoFi page and donate any amount in increments of $5 (it’s a little cute how this platform does it — it says “Buy Greensboro Downtown a Yoga Class” — this are ‘sold’ in increments of $5.00 and you can increase the number using the ++ button).
As we said, we never dreamed we would be at this moment a month after opening, but as we navigate the experience daily together, we APPRECIATE anything and everything you can do to support Greensboro Downtown Yoga
In Extreme Gratitude and Love,
Summer Sides & Michael Griffith
(Owners, Greensboro Downtown Yoga)
GDY Presses Pause on In-Studio Operations | March 18, 2020
It is with a very heavy heart that Michael and I have decided it’s time to pause all classes at GDY until at least March 31 – at which time we will reevaluate and go from there.
As owners of GDY for now 18-days, this is a really hard decision to have made. However, our main goal and priority is for you to be healthy and well, and we’ve realized that staying open during this time of complete unknowns with COVID-19 might actually be going against that mission.
- All classes are cancelled as of today, March 18 until further notice.
- All memberships and class packages will be frozen effective today.
- Past bills are still be due.
- You can join our new GDY Community Facebook Group as a way to stay connected with the community during this time of isolation.
- This was actually already in the works, so glad it gives us a time to really focus on it!
- Join us daily inside the group for our “Daily Movement Mantra” — this 5-10 minute time could include a short movement practice, a meditation, or other means of helping you navigate these difficult times.
- More information to come….
- Yoga is about much more than just the physical asana (movement) practice, and at this time of unrest and uncertainty focusing on those other limbs of yoga might be exactly what we need to make it through. We hope to bring you more information on how to truly further your yoga practice in a way that brings you comfort at home.
Keep posted for more on ways that we can bond as a yoga, movement, and human community.
In Good Health
Summer & Michael
Owners, Greensboro Downtown Yoga